It seems like things are finally catching up to those who make the worst of the fake news at CNN.

Background:

CNN had retracted a story last week that linked Anthony Scaramucci, a well known ally of President Trump, to an investment fund that was run by a bank that is controlled by the Kremlin.

“On June 22, 2017, CNN.com published a story connecting Anthony Scaramucci with investigations into the Russian Direct Investment Fund,” CNN said in a statement.

“That story did not meet CNN’s editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled. CNN apologizes to Mr. Scaramucci,” the news outlet tweeted.

Anthony Scaramucci responded very graciously:

Now, CNN seems to be implementing stricter rules when it comes to stories concerning Russia, according to sources.

CNNMoney executive editor Rich Barbieri sent an email out over the weekend announcing the network’s new rules the day after the story retraction.

“No one should publish any content involving Russia without coming to me and Jason [Farkas] ,” said the email that Buzzfeed News obtained.

“This applies to social, video, editorial, and MoneyStream. No exceptions,” the email added. “I will lay out a workflow Monday.”

What’s happening now:

In the wake of the article retraction, three CNN staffers have resigned.

According to Politico:

Out are: The reporter, Pulitzer-Prize nominee Thomas Frank; assistant managing editor Eric Lichtblau (who recently joined from the New York Times and is a Pulitzer winner himself); and Lex Haris, the executive editor in charge of investigations.

“In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story’s publication,” CNN said in a statement.

“On Friday, CNN retracted a story published by my team. As Executive Editor of that team, I have resigned,” Haris said in a statement published by CNN. “I’ve been with CNN since 2001, and am sure about one thing: This is a news organization that prizes accuracy and fairness above all else. I am leaving, but will carry those principles wherever I go.”

According to a source familiar with the situation, Scaramucci called the CNN reporter and then Washington Bureau Chief Sam Feist on Friday after the story was posted, and alluded to the possibility of a lawsuit if the piece was not taken down.

Hey, maybe we’ll see some better stories come out of the Clinton News Network moving forward! Maybe they will actually do their research and come up with insightful content that’s both thought provoking and accurate! Maybe instead of making the news fit their worldview, they’ll adjust their worldviews based on what’s actually happening?

What? You’re not holding your breath?

Yeah, me neither.

H/T: Politico